"declarative" language design pros/cons

Dev Object <devobject@gmail.com>
1 Dec 2004 23:02:55 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
"declarative" language design pros/cons devobject@gmail.com (Dev Object) (2004-12-01)
Re: "declarative" language design pros/cons torbenm@diku.dk (2004-12-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Dev Object <devobject@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 1 Dec 2004 23:02:55 -0500
Posted-Date: 01 Dec 2004 23:02:54 EST

Hi,

I am trying to learn more about "declarative" language design pros/cons
vis-a-vis "imperative" approach.

For example,
in SQL 'table' concept is well understood, whereas in an
imperative approach, one would write a bunch of functions to
  . init_some_struct
  . associate_types (struct*, ...)
  . set_value_for_type (struct *, field_num, field_val)
  . do_opaque_operation (struct *, ...)
  . collect_results (struct *, **collector_obj)
  . cleanup () for various inner types and objects.
This is my current perception.

Are there are any papers that are recommended reading to better grasp
the concept and the associated trade-offs in design, complexity of
translator tools, challenges in grammar design, peformance and
verification tools ?

I will greatly appreciate if somebody could point to the relevant
papers in the computing literature. I am a beginner in this area.

Thanks for your time. Thanks in advance.
--
thanks
Dev.