Re: Can we represent bug pattern?

Robert Metzger <metzger@rsn.hp.com>
6 Nov 2004 15:02:23 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Can we represent bug pattern? vipindeep.v@gmail.com (2004-10-30)
Re: Can we represent bug pattern? jle@ural.owlnet.rice.edu (2004-11-02)
Re: Can we represent bug pattern? metzger@rsn.hp.com (Robert Metzger) (2004-11-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Robert Metzger <metzger@rsn.hp.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 6 Nov 2004 15:02:23 -0500
Posted-Date: 06 Nov 2004 15:02:23 EST

> In this way is it possible to represent "bug pattern".

In Appendix A of "Debugging by Thinking: A Multi-disciplinary
Approach", [Elsevier, 2004] you will find a taxonomy of 138 root
causes of software defects, organized into 20 categories. Chapter 11
explains this taxonomy, and gives examples. It's the most
comprehensive taxonomy that I am aware of.

I don't believe that more than small fraction of these these root
causes can be represented in the manner you describe, although I'm not
sure I understood your message completely.

Robert Metzger
Hewlett-Packard Company
High Performance Computing Division