Re: How to justify teaching compilers

Gene Wirchenko <genew@mail.ocis.net>
4 Oct 2004 00:50:38 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
How to justify teaching compilers jaidi@fos.ubd.edu.bn (Pg Nor Jaidi Pg Tuah) (2004-10-02)
Re: How to justify teaching compilers mayan@bestweb.net (Mayan Moudgill) (2004-10-02)
Re: How to justify teaching compilers thomas.claveirole@lrde.epita.fr (Thomas Claveirole) (2004-10-02)
Re: How to justify teaching compilers max@gustavus.edu (Max Hailperin) (2004-10-02)
Re: How to justify teaching compilers Juergen.Kahrs@vr-web.de (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=) (2004-10-04)
Re: How to justify teaching compilers tk@ic.unicamp.br (Tomasz Kowaltowski) (2004-10-04)
Re: How to justify teaching compilers genew@mail.ocis.net (Gene Wirchenko) (2004-10-04)
Re: How to justify teaching compilers slimick@venango.upb.pitt.edu (John Slimick) (2004-10-04)
Re: How to justify teaching compilers nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (2004-10-09)
Re: How to justify teaching compilers torbenm@diku.dk (2004-10-09)
Re: How to justify teaching compilers monnier@iro.umontreal.ca (Stefan Monnier) (2004-10-09)
Re: How to justify teaching compilers rand@rice.edu (Randy) (2004-10-09)
Re: How to justify teaching compilers vbdis@aol.com (2004-10-09)

From: Gene Wirchenko <genew@mail.ocis.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 4 Oct 2004 00:50:38 -0400
Posted-Date: 04 Oct 2004 00:50:38 EDT

"Pg Nor Jaidi Pg Tuah" <jaidi@fos.ubd.edu.bn> wrote:

>Dear compiler-loving academics,
>
>With the fast expanding frontier of computer science, and the
>(unreasonable) expectation that CS graduates be fully "productive"
>from day 1 of their work, CS curriculum must include more "hot"
>topics, squeezing out "old fashioned" stuff.

          I recently graduated from a diploma program (finally getting
formal credentials). I remember a problem that was part of an
assignment in second semester. It was to implement a simple
calculator. Many found it QUITE difficult. I thought that it looked
as if an FSA would do the trick, and yes, that was so. I found the
problem fairly easy.

          Who was fully productive?

          I have used FSAs in other areas. They are great for data
conversion.

>Thus I find my "compiler is fun" argument losing to "compiler
>knowledge is not so useful anymore" argument, especially when more
>than half of the students would likely find the subject terribly
>difficult. If you are in this situation, and you have no strong
>compiler research group to back you up (if you have a compiler
>research group, you wouldn't be in this situation, would you?), how
>would you justify keeping/introducing your beloved compiler course?

          I have also developed small languages. I wish I knew more, so I
could do a better job.

>If you can compromise and reduce compiler to just a few hours of
>lectures (embedded in, say, "systems programming"), what would you
>cover?

          The coffin of the person requiring the compromise? <BEG> Sorry,
I can not compromise.

>nice day
>jaidi
>[I don't think many CS students are likely to write a C compiler,
>but most of them are going to write things that are scanners or parsers,
>even if they don't call them that. -John]

          As I did above.

          It also helps in understanding how the scanners, parsers, and
compilers that I use do work. It can lead to better performance
and... Ah, sorry, I forgot. Compilers are supposed to be impractical.
I apologise for being fully productive again.

          [Drop the rejection notice, Mr. Levine. I was only kidding about
the last bit.]

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko