RE: Application of Conjunctive Grammars?

Quinn Tyler Jackson <quinn-j@shaw.ca>
21 Sep 2004 22:14:37 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Application of Conjunctive Grammars? schmitz@i3s.unice.fr (Sylvain Schmitz) (2004-09-14)
RE: Application of Conjunctive Grammars? quinn-j@shaw.ca (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (2004-09-14)
RE: Application of Conjunctive Grammars? quinn-j@shaw.ca (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (2004-09-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Quinn Tyler Jackson <quinn-j@shaw.ca>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 21 Sep 2004 22:14:37 -0400
Posted-Date: 21 Sep 2004 22:14:37 EDT

Monty Hall wrote:

> > what programming language constructs can be expressed using
> > conjunctive CFGs?

Sylvain Schmitz replied:

> One of the practical interests of conjunctive grammars is the ability
> to express scoping as a syntax problem rather than a semantic one.
> See http://hirvi.cs.queensu.ca/programming/ for an application of
> conjunctive grammars to a simple programming language.

Right. That's become a recent focus of Okhotin's work, it appears.

I've just finished a paper on something related, but it requires more than
just conjunction. Still trying to find a home for the paper ... not sure
where to submit.

"On the efficient grammar-only recognition of late declaration within a
scope"

Quinn Tyler Jackson
New Westminster, British Columbia
E-mail: quinn-j@shaw.ca

Abstract

The C++ programming language requires variables to be declared before use,
but allows variables to be referenced in the body of a class's inline
functions and in this special case, member variable declaration can occur
after the variable has already been referenced in code. We present an
adaptive grammar that models this constraint, accepting scopes with
variables that are eventually resolved and rejecting scopes that have such
references that are not resolved upon scope closure.

--
Quinn Tyler Jackson

http://members.shaw.ca/qjackson/

"Never express yourself more clearly than you think."
-- Niels Bohr