Re: Other than lex/yacc

"Nick Roberts" <nick.roberts@acm.org>
25 Aug 2004 14:55:56 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Other than lex/yacc muj20@cam.ac.uk (umar) (2004-08-23)
Re: Other than lex/yacc mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de (Dmitry A. Kazakov) (2004-08-25)
Re: Other than lex/yacc nick.roberts@acm.org (Nick Roberts) (2004-08-25)
Re: Other than lex/yacc idbaxter@semdesigns.com (Ira Baxter) (2004-09-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Nick Roberts" <nick.roberts@acm.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 25 Aug 2004 14:55:56 -0400
Posted-Date: 25 Aug 2004 14:55:56 EDT

On 23 Aug 2004 12:06:56 -0400, umar <muj20@cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> I am looking for clean and efficient lexical/parser tool which
> generates (abstract) syntax trees, symbol table information and
> easily manipulatable intermediate form. It would be great if the
> tool allows handling assertions/comments also.
>
> I intend to derive verification conditions for the input program
> (may be in written in C,Java, or my own toy language).
>
> Any thing other than Lex/Yacc.

I feel I have to mention the Prolog programming language.

A free interpreter (which I can recommend) and tutorial are to be
found at:

        http://www.amzi.com

but there are many other Prolog resources on the web.

I am considering using Prolog for my own purposes, for much the same
reasons you cite. It is not a parsing tool as such, but it is
readily programmed to do parsing (to generate trees) and tree
manipulations. Prolog can be used interactively, and structures are
easily played with. Just a thought.

--
Nick Roberts