Question re the (non-)equivalence of Z -> z and Z -> z e (e the empty string)

dhalitsky@cumulativeinquiry.com (David Halitsky)
9 Aug 2004 01:30:03 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Question re the (non-)equivalence of Z -> z and Z -> z e (e the empty dhalitsky@cumulativeinquiry.com (2004-08-09)
Re: Question re the (non-)equivalence of Z -> z and Z -> z e (e the em kwheinri@bsr2.uwaterloo.ca (Kenn Heinrich) (2004-08-10)
Re: Question re the (non-)equivalence of Z -> z and Z -> z e (e the em k301x@yahoo.com (dtf) (2004-08-10)
Re: Question re the (non-)equivalence of Z -> z and Z -> z e (e the em dhalitsky@cumulativeinquiry.com (2004-08-11)
Re: Question re the (non-)equivalence of Z -> z and Z -> z e (e the em cppljevans@cox-internet.com (Larry Evans) (2004-08-11)
Re: Question re the (non-)equivalence of Z -> z and Z -> z e (e the em kwheinri@bsr2.uwaterloo.ca (Kenn Heinrich) (2004-08-13)
Re: Question re the (non-)equivalence of Z -> z and Z -> z e (e the em dhalitsky@cumulativeinquiry.com (2004-08-13)

From: dhalitsky@cumulativeinquiry.com (David Halitsky)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 9 Aug 2004 01:30:03 -0400
Posted-Date: 09 Aug 2004 01:30:03 EDT

Background

Consider any linear grammar G of a regular language L in which:

a) the designated "empty" or "null string" symbol e is not an
      element of G's terminal alphabet Vt;

b) G contains the rewrite rule Z -> z, which always terminates a
      derivation in G since z is an element of Vt;

Now consider a grammar G' of a regular language L which is just
like G except that:

a) the terminal alphabet Vt' of G' does contain the null/empty string
      symbol e

b) G' contains the rewrite rule Z -> z e instead of Z -> z.

In any derivation D in G, the deepest subtree in D will be a tree
consisting of one parent with one child:

[ z ]

In the corresponding derivation D' in G', the deepest subtree will be
a tree consisting of one parent and two children:

[ z e ]

Question

Can anyone think of any non-trivial reason why the grammars G and G'
should be distinguished one from the other within formal language
theory or automata theory or any application thereof ?

The answer to this question has both formal and empirical
consequences, otherwise I would not be wasting anyone's time to
double-check my own opinion on the matter.

Thanks for whatever time you can afford to spend considering this
matter.