Re: anything more convenient then bison/yacc?

Chris F Clark <cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com>
4 Aug 2004 02:44:08 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
anything more convenient then bison/yacc? khamenya@mail.ru (2004-07-28)
Re: anything more convenient then bison/yacc? cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2004-08-04)
Re: anything more convenient then bison/yacc? basile-news@starynkevitch.net (Basile Starynkevitch \[news\]) (2004-08-05)
Re: anything more convenient then bison/yacc? rich@pennware.com (Richard Pennington) (2004-08-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Chris F Clark <cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 4 Aug 2004 02:44:08 -0400
Posted-Date: 04 Aug 2004 02:44:08 EDT

khamenya@mail.ru (Valery) wrote:
> I am wondering if there are some newer reliable engines
> similar to yacc/bison, but with more syntactic sugar and
> wider class of the grammars.

The notation you describe is almost exactly that of Yacc++, except we
don't do the finite length versions:

    e{num} Matches element e in brackets num times
    e{min, max} Matches element e in brackets at least min times, but
not more than max times

> Thus, any testimonials to reliable grammar parser generators are
> very appreciated. (Commercial implementatios are less considered).

It does have the problem that it is not freely available currently.
If you are planning non-commercial use, you could send us email at the
address in the .signature and we can discuss whether something can be
done for your situation, as we do intend to release a free (both
gratis and libre meanings) copy of an older version of the software in
the "near" future, say the beginning of 2005.

As to testimonials, you can read the "customer quotes" on the web
page. I cannot offer one myself, as I am one of the authors etc.
However, it does work for me ;-)....

Hope this helps,
-Chris

23 Bailey Rd voice : (508) 435-5016
Berlin, MA 01503 USA fax : (978) 838-0263 (24 hours)