Re: Looking for a parser generator recommendation

Etienne Gagnon <egagnon@antivirus.uqam.ca>
20 Jul 2004 19:47:18 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Looking for a parser generator recommendation exitsfunnel@yahoo.com (Exits Funnel) (2004-07-19)
Re: Looking for a parser generator recommendation cdc@maxnet.co.nz (Carl Cerecke) (2004-07-20)
Re: Looking for a parser generator recommendation sreeni@viswanadha.net (Sreenivasa Viswanadha) (2004-07-20)
Re: Looking for a parser generator recommendation danwang74@gmail.com (Daniel C. Wang) (2004-07-20)
Re: Looking for a parser generator recommendation egagnon@antivirus.uqam.ca (Etienne Gagnon) (2004-07-20)
Re: Looking for a parser generator recommendation gopi@sankhya.com (2004-07-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Etienne Gagnon <egagnon@antivirus.uqam.ca>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 20 Jul 2004 19:47:18 -0400
Posted-Date: 20 Jul 2004 19:47:18 EDT

You might want to look at SableCC ( http://sablecc.org ).

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 10:52:20PM -0400, Exits Funnel wrote:
> 1) LALR

It is LALR.

> 2) Generates a parser in Java.

Does that too.

> 3) The generator itself (as opposed to just the generated code) must run
> cross platform (ie, probably be java).

Written in Java.

> 4) The generated code and any support libraries must be explitly usable
> in commercial software. Unfortunately, our legal department has deemed
> even the Lesser GPL unacceptable. I guess that means I'm looking for
> either something commercial or something in the public domain.

There's no restriction whatsoever on generated code (from the tool point
of view). Of course, if you use an existing grammar, the generated code
is a derivative of the source grammar file and should abide by its license.
In other word, if *you* write the grammar, you can do whatever you like with
the generated code.

> 5) This one's not absolutely necasarry but it would be great if the tool
> supported the generation of some kind of an intermediate form (parse
> tree?) rather than just allowing embedded actions in the rules.

Actually, SableCC does not even support embedding actions in the grammar;
you *must* work on the automatically built AST.

> I've spent quite some time searching the web but most everything I can
> find is either open source or a windows tool. If anyone has any
> recommendations I'd love to hear about them. Thanks in advance.

SableCC is open source (free software). If this is unacceptable to your
lawyers, just ask me privately. The project would not say no to some
financial contribution... ;-)

Etienne

--
Etienne M. Gagnon, Ph.D. http://www.info.uqam.ca/~egagnon/