van Wijngaarden Grammars, Was: Grammars for LL(1) grammars?

wb@arb-phys.uni-dortmund.de (Wilhelm B. Kloke)
14 Jul 2004 12:07:31 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Grammars for LL(1) grammars? lhp+news@toft-hp.dk (LasseHillerøePetersen) (2004-05-24)
Re: Grammars for LL(1) grammars? lhp+news@toft-hp.dk (Lasse =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Hiller=F8e?= Petersen) (2004-07-13)
van Wijngaarden Grammars, Was: Grammars for LL(1) grammars? wb@arb-phys.uni-dortmund.de (2004-07-14)
Re: van Wijngaarden Grammars, Was: Grammars for LL(1) grammars? lhp+news@toft-hp.dk (Lasse =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Hiller=F8e?= Petersen) (2004-07-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: wb@arb-phys.uni-dortmund.de (Wilhelm B. Kloke)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Jul 2004 12:07:31 -0400
Posted-Date: 14 Jul 2004 12:07:31 EDT

Lasse Hillerøe Petersen <lhp+news@toft-hp.dk> wrote:
>In the meantime I have been reading on van Wijngaarden grammars; and
>although (or because) my head is hurting a lot from this, *another*
>thought has occured to me.
>It seems that a vW grammar is as powerful as a Turing machine. Further,
>it is decidable whether a CFG is LL(1).
>
>My third question is: Is it possible to write a vW-grammar that would
>accept (produce?) only CFGs that are LL(1)? And if yes, has anybody done
>so?

Perhaps the following hint does not help for the current problem.

People interested in working with vWG might find helpful:
http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~fisher/software/yoyovwg/
ftp://ftp.cs.kun.nl/pub/eag/
--
Dipl.-Math. Wilhelm Bernhard Kloke
Institut fuer Arbeitsphysiologie an der Universitaet Dortmund