Performance of various GCC versions.

Manuel Serrano <Manuel.Serrano@sophia.inria.fr>
26 Feb 2004 01:39:36 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Performance of various GCC versions. Manuel.Serrano@sophia.inria.fr (Manuel Serrano) (2004-02-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Manuel Serrano <Manuel.Serrano@sophia.inria.fr>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 26 Feb 2004 01:39:36 -0500
Posted-Date: 26 Feb 2004 01:39:36 EST

Hello there,

We are developping a compiler for the Scheme programming language. It
takes Scheme programs in input and produces C programs as output. Most
frequently these C programs are compiled with Gcc.

We have a test suite that we use for measuring the performance of our
compiler on various platforms. Recently we have tried to estimate the
impact of gcc on the overall performance. In particular, we have
compared gcc2.95, gcc3.2, and gcc3.3. Surprisingly we have found that
gcc3.3 is, most of the time, slower than gcc3.2. For all tests we use
the same compilation flags that are
        -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math

Is this expected? Is it known that gcc3.3 is slower that gcc3.2? Does
gcc3.3 requires special tuning for best performance? In advance, many
thanks for your help.

--
Manuel Serrano