Lessons from history?

scott.finnie@virgin.net (Scott Finnie)
12 Feb 2004 11:01:39 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Lessons from history? scott.finnie@virgin.net (2004-02-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: scott.finnie@virgin.net (Scott Finnie)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Feb 2004 11:01:39 -0500
Posted-Date: 12 Feb 2004 11:01:39 EST

Dear all,

I'm doing some background research into code generation from domain
models into target architectures (e.g. J2EE). While there are myriad
technical issues to juggle with, I'm particularly interested in the
people-related factors that impinge on the subject. In discussions
I've come across opinions right across the spectrum: fanatically
supportive to vehemently dismissive.

It's my guess this is reminiscent of the introduction of 3gl
compilers, and I'm interested in any applicable learning from that
time. For example:

  . What finally convinced die hard assembly programmers that compilers
      could cut it?
  . Significant obstacles to adoption?
  . Significant features/circumstances that catalysed widespread
      adoption?

Any references or direct experience would be very welcome.

Many thanks,
Scott Finnie.
[I think the answer to the first question is old age and death. -John]