Re: Generalized parser without generation

Jesse Jones <jesjones@mindspring.com>
4 Feb 2004 21:43:26 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Generalized parser without generation moughanj@tcd.ie (2004-02-01)
Re: Generalized parser without generation joachim.durchholz@web.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2004-02-04)
Re: Generalized parser without generation derkgwen@HotPOP.com (Derk Gwen) (2004-02-04)
Re: Generalized parser without generation jesjones@mindspring.com (Jesse Jones) (2004-02-04)
Re: Generalized parser without generation pete@restall.net (Peter Restall) (2004-02-04)
Re: Generalized parser without generation cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2004-02-04)
Re: Generalized parser without generation vidar@hokstad.name (2004-02-04)
Re: Generalized parser without generation bear@sonic.net (Ray Dillinger) (2004-02-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Jesse Jones <jesjones@mindspring.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 4 Feb 2004 21:43:26 -0500
Posted-Date: 04 Feb 2004 21:43:26 EST

James Moughan <moughanj@tcd.ie> wrote:
> A friend of mine has been given a final year project for which his
> supervisor wants the above; that is, a program which can read in a
> description of a grammar then parse a file using it directly. Users
> must be able to add new grammars at any time without compiling.

You can do this sort of thing with an Earley parser or a generalized
recursive descent parser (something like what boost::spirit does). An
Earley parser is a bit harder to write, but supports left-recursion
and ambiguity better than a recursive descent parser.

> James Moughan
> [Extensible parsers that could add new syntax on the fly were popular in
> the 1970s, but I haven't seen any lately. They turned out to be useful
> for writing code that nobody could read, but not for much else. -John]

What about Dylan? It places some limits on the kinds of things you can
define, but even with those in place you can create an awful lot of
new syntax.

    -- Jesse