Two questions about compiler design

blitz@bad-logic.com (Blitz)
1 Feb 2004 12:57:05 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Two questions about compiler design blitz@bad-logic.com (2004-02-01)
Re: Two questions about compiler design david.waller1@blueyonder.co.uk (david.waller) (2004-02-04)
Re: Two questions about compiler design Jeffrey.Kenton@comcast.net (Jeff Kenton) (2004-02-04)
Re: Two questions about compiler design isaac@latveria.castledoom.org (Isaac) (2004-02-08)
Re: Two questions about compiler design peteg@cse.unsw.EDU.AU (Peter Gammie) (2004-02-12)
Re: Two questions about compiler design j.troeger@qut.edu.au (Jens Troeger) (2004-02-12)

From: blitz@bad-logic.com (Blitz)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 1 Feb 2004 12:57:05 -0500
Posted-Date: 01 Feb 2004 12:57:05 EST

I've basically read most of the dragon book, and according to that book you
should generate intermediate code then divide it into basic blocks+flow
chart then build a DAG for each basic block to do code motion etc etc. Now,
all this seems great to me. But the book i have is from -79 and i'm
wondering if this is pretty much how it's done now days as well?

Also, i want to use three-adress code for the intermediate code becuase it
seems to be easiest to do optimisation on, But i don't just want to pass it
backend to produce machine code. I also want to run the intermediate code in
an interpreter. So i was wondering if it's better to make my own
intermediate code if there already is a good standard one defined which
would suite this need. If anyone ever used quickbasic you know that you can
both run your code in interpreted mode as well as compile it. You can also
use ordinary libraries in interpreted mode. So what i had in mind is
something like QuickBASIC.

/ Blitz