Re: Writing a C/C++ compiler in C++

david.boyle@ed.tadpole.com (Dave Boyle)
31 Jan 2004 00:51:48 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Writing a C/C++ compiler in C++ dezakin@usa.net (2004-01-22)
Re: Writing a C/C++ compiler in C++ david.boyle@ed.tadpole.com (2004-01-31)
Re: Writing a C/C++ compiler in C++ haberg@matematik.su.se (2004-02-01)
Re: Writing a C/C++ compiler in C++ jo@spiffy.ox.compsoc.net (Joel Dillon) (2004-02-01)
Re: Writing a C/C++ compiler in C++ vbdis@aol.com (2004-02-01)
Re: Writing a C/C++ compiler in C++ dezakin@usa.net (2004-02-01)
Re: Writing a C/C++ compiler in C++ vbdis@aol.com (2004-02-04)
Re: Writing a C/C++ compiler in C++ hkaiser@users.sourceforge.net (2004-02-12)

From: david.boyle@ed.tadpole.com (Dave Boyle)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 31 Jan 2004 00:51:48 -0500
Posted-Date: 31 Jan 2004 00:51:48 EST

dezakin@usa.net (Dez Akin) wrote in message news:04-01-146...
> I've been thinking of writing a C++ compiler in C++ over the next
> several years, and I was wondering what's changed in writing a
> compiler?

<snip>

Just a word of warning. Walter Bright, who implemented an early C++
compiler, had this to say in comp.lang.c++.moderated recently:

"I'd venture that it would take 10 years to write a C++ compiler from
scratch."

He was talking specifically about a fully standard compliant compiler.

This still seems a little excessive to me but I don't have the
compiler construction experience that Walter has, so...

I'd strongly recommend two books to help in your endeavour:

Engineering a Compiler - Keith Cooper & Linda Torczon
The C++ Standard - Hardback copy available from The British Standards
Institute for a reasonable price (about £35).

The first book is a compiler book that is very pragmatic in its
approach and I think is one of the best compiler books to come out in
years. I bought it as a result of others in this NG recommending it
and wasn't disappointed.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dave