Re: tool suggest vliw compiler

nkavv@skiathos.physics.auth.gr (Uncle Noah)
22 Jan 2004 23:30:19 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
tool suggest vliw compiler aldeeran@tin.it (alderaan) (2004-01-16)
Re: tool suggest vliw compiler mrmnews@the-meissners.org (Michael Meissner) (2004-01-22)
Re: tool suggest vliw compiler nkavv@skiathos.physics.auth.gr (2004-01-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: nkavv@skiathos.physics.auth.gr (Uncle Noah)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 22 Jan 2004 23:30:19 -0500
Posted-Date: 22 Jan 2004 23:30:19 EST

alderaan <aldeeran@tin.it> wrote in message news:04-01-101...
> Hi, I have to do a compiler for a vliw architecture. I've read about
> two frameworks to make a compiler : Lance and Suif. What is the more
> convenient framework between these ones to develope a VLIW compiler?

For LANCE you should be able to get a free license for non-commercial
purposes. SUIF and Machine SUIF are downloadable from the
corresponding websites.

I don't know much about LANCE, since I've only used its C-printing
option. It uses a 3-address code intermediate representation. They
have published on SIMD compilation but i'm not sure about VLIW.

On SUIF, it is more suitable for frontend analyses and optimizations.
However, it comes with an Alpha code generator. You should probably
also install MachSUIF that is more backend oriented. It has 3 code
generators written by using their proposed programming interface
(their set of procedures). Its major advantage that the modular way to
apply different passes for either optimization or profiling.

At least one individual and some groups have added passes or
implemented a VLIW backend. None of them is freely available.

There exists Trimaran infrastructure with simulator and VLIW compiler.
If you are oriented to a VLIW architecture, this is the most referred
toolsuite in recent literature. (http://www.trimaran.org)

Uncle "The G.B. Man" Noah