Re: Beginner to Bison

haberg@matematik.su.se (Hans Aberg)
17 Jan 2004 23:29:06 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Beginner to Bison muthu_nano@yahoo.co.in (2004-01-16)
Re: Beginner to Bison pete@restall.net (Peter Restall) (2004-01-17)
Re: Beginner to Bison haberg@matematik.su.se (2004-01-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: haberg@matematik.su.se (Hans Aberg)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Jan 2004 23:29:06 -0500
Posted-Date: 17 Jan 2004 23:29:06 EST

  muthu_nano@yahoo.co.in (Muthu) wrote:

>Can any one give a good link, which will be useful for me to
>understand the Bison from scratch. Note: I am new to compiler
>principles.

As for "understanding Bison" as a user, one can look into the Bison
manual. Also, there is a document by Akim Demaille et al.,
"Programming with GNU software: Bison", bi.pdf, and a description of a
Lex/Yacc combination in the book by Aho, Sethi & Ullman,
"Compilers..." (the "Dragon Book") that easily transports to
Flex/Bison.

As for understanding Bison as a developer, there appears to be no
other way than to read the source code. The Dragon Book describes
(essentially) the LALR that Bison currently is using. If wants an
online description of LALR(1), one place is in the Parsing Techniques
book:
        http://www.cs.vu.nl/~dick/PTAPG.html

    Hans Aberg