Re: How to write a virtual machine and simulator

adderd@wmol.com (Collin M Kidder)
23 Dec 2003 00:20:43 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
How to write a virtuel machine and simulator azoulayi@yahoo.fr (2003-11-11)
Re: How to write a virtuel machine and simulator x@boog.co.uk (Peter Cooper) (2003-11-18)
Re: How to write a virtual machine and simulator crwfrd@umich.edu (Randy Crawford) (2003-12-07)
Re: How to write a virtual machine and simulator adderd@wmol.com (2003-12-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: adderd@wmol.com (Collin M Kidder)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Dec 2003 00:20:43 -0500
Posted-Date: 23 Dec 2003 00:20:43 EST

I would have to disagree. I find the book to be a very helpful survey
of what it takes to build a virtual machine. It does discuss a variety
of design decisions and why he made the choices he did. I think it's
actually a good thing that he stuck to one implimentation. It allowed
him to thoroughly cover all of his design decisions and exactly how
that one implimentation works. Had he just done a survey of a variety
of techniques one of two things would have had to happen:

1. The book would have had to be HUGE and horribly expensive

or

2. A large amount of the detail in the book would have had to be
sacrificed.

"Randy Crawford" <crwfrd@umich.edu> wrote