Re: Compiling pointer arithmetic targeting JVM

Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.oz.au>
13 Dec 2003 20:57:37 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiling pointer arithmetic targeting JVM napi@cs.indiana.edu (2003-11-21)
Re: Compiling pointer arithmetic targeting JVM gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2003-12-03)
Re: Compiling pointer arithmetic targeting JVM bonzini@gnu.org (2003-12-03)
Re: Compiling pointer arithmetic targeting JVM joachim.durchholz@web.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2003-12-08)
Re: Compiling pointer arithmetic targeting JVM fjh@cs.mu.oz.au (Fergus Henderson) (2003-12-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.oz.au>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Dec 2003 20:57:37 -0500
Posted-Date: 13 Dec 2003 20:57:37 EST

Joachim Durchholz <joachim.durchholz@web.de> writes:

>glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:
>> Equality comparisons check both the Object reference and offset,
>> inequalities, at least in C, only need to compare the offset.
>
>Incorrect.

I think you have just misunderstood glen herrmannsfeldt's terminology.
By "inequalities", glen herrmannsfeldt no doubt meant the C operators
">", ">=", "<" and "<=", which correspond to those operators in
mathematics that are often known by mathematicians as "inequalities",
not the C "!=" operator. His terminology was admittedly confusing.
It would have been much clearer to follow the terminology used in the
C standard and to therefore describe these operators as "relational"
operators. But nevertheless what he said was correct, presuming you
interpret "inequalities" in the mathematical sense.
--
Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.oz.au> | "I have always known that the pursuit
The University of Melbourne | of excellence is a lethal habit"