Re: Relaxed pattern recognition

Ralf Laemmel <Ralf.Laemmel@cwi.nl>
13 Dec 2003 20:56:25 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Relaxed pattern recognition mars@realsoftware.com (2003-12-08)
Re: Relaxed pattern recognition Ralf.Laemmel@cwi.nl (Ralf Laemmel) (2003-12-13)
Re: Relaxed pattern recognition haberg@matematik.su.se (2003-12-13)
Re: Relaxed pattern recognition cdodd@acm.org (Chris Dodd) (2003-12-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Ralf Laemmel <Ralf.Laemmel@cwi.nl>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Dec 2003 20:56:25 -0500
Posted-Date: 13 Dec 2003 20:56:25 EST

Mars Saxman wrote:

>I would like to write a parser using bison that deals with fragments
>of source code that may or may not be complete. I would like to
>construct an AST from the source code using whatever parts exist,
>resolving them into more specific structures whenever they match some
>pattern.

If I get you right, then you are describing a form of --- as we call
it --- "tolerant parsing". In the following paper, you will find a
kind of overview and lots of references on tolerant parsing:
http://homepages.cwi.nl/~ralf/icsm03/

Ralf
P.S.: I am interested in you application context, please let me know.