C++ thunks and when they are used

"Petr Maxa" <Petr_Maxa@siemens.com>
3 Dec 2003 20:42:30 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
C++ thunks and when they are used Petr_Maxa@siemens.com (Petr Maxa) (2003-12-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Petr Maxa" <Petr_Maxa@siemens.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Dec 2003 20:42:30 -0500
Posted-Date: 03 Dec 2003 20:42:30 EST

Hello,

I have question regarding C++ thunks. According to my knowledge,
thunks are short codes, which are called in specific complicated
situation - e.g. when adapting pointer to virtual table or adapt a
correct return pointer of virtual function, provided the virtual
function returns not an exact but covariant type.

What are possible other cases of using thunks in C++? Where are these
thunks stored - are they part of functions bodies, vtables or are they
generated inline in place of invocation of functions? Is C++
implementation enabled to use thunks e.g. in constructors to call
member initialization list's initializers or is this initialization a
part of constructor?

Thanks for any hint.

Petr Maxa.