Re: query: debugging dynamically generated code

James Cownie <jcownie@etnus.com>
8 Nov 2003 01:37:39 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
query: debugging dynamically generated code debray@CS.Arizona.EDU (2003-10-27)
Re: query: debugging dynamically generated code tmk@netvision.net.il (2003-10-31)
Re: query: debugging dynamically generated code kodambal@imec.be (K.C. Shashidhar) (2003-10-31)
Re: query: debugging dynamically generated code jcownie@etnus.com (James Cownie) (2003-11-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: James Cownie <jcownie@etnus.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 Nov 2003 01:37:39 -0500
Posted-Date: 08 Nov 2003 01:37:39 EST

> debray@CS.Arizona.EDU (Saumya K. Debray) wrote
>
>How to people go about debugging code that's being
>generated/transformed dynamically?
>Given the amount of interest and activity in JIT compilers and dynamic
>code optimization in recent years, I expect there's a fair amount of
>experience with, and literature on, this topic (though citeseer didn't
>turn up anything obvious). I'd be grateful for any pointers.

I believe that Sun's latest versions of dbx handle this for JIT
compiled Java. (Including the "amusement" that the generated machine
code for JIT compiled Java can be garbage collected and later
re-generated if required).

I don't know if they have published anything on _how_ they do this
(though I expect that the runtime probably has some hooks to let
the debugger know what's going on).

--
-- Jim

James Cownie <jcownie@etnus.com>