RE: GCC C/C++ runtime library question

"Naveen Sharma, Noida" <naveens@noida.hcltech.com>
18 Oct 2003 15:23:04 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
RE: GCC C/C++ runtime library question naveens@noida.hcltech.com (Naveen Sharma, Noida) (2003-10-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Naveen Sharma, Noida" <naveens@noida.hcltech.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Oct 2003 15:23:04 -0400
Posted-Date: 18 Oct 2003 15:23:04 EDT

> I am trying to replace the standard C and C++ libraries which comes
> with a Linux distro with our own(licensed from a 3rd party vendor). We
> will be providing the lower level layer which the C/C++ library
> uses(i.e. the system calls). What i would like to do is replace the
> standard and the runtime libraries which come with gcc with our own. ...

> 1. What is the exact difference between the C runtime and the C
> standard libraries i.e where does one end and the other begin;
>
> 2. In a gcc distribution where exactly does the compiler specific
> magic lie within the runtime libraries? ...
> [Good luck. The OS interface library, the standard C library, and the
> magic helper code libraries are rarely easy to separate out, and the
> low level details are rarely documented. -John]

John is right. Before going on in too many details, did you try
configuring gcc something like

$ ./configure --with-libs=/your_libs_path --with-headers=/your_headers_path

For c++, then there would be more complex issues. GCC or libstdc++
mailing lists may be able to help better in this regard.
(gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org)

--Naveen.