GCC C/C++ runtime library question

ramanathan.ramadass@spirentcom.com (Ramanathan Ramadass)
14 Oct 2003 23:46:56 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
GCC C/C++ runtime library question ramanathan.ramadass@spirentcom.com (2003-10-14)
Re: GCC C/C++ runtime library question Brian.Inglis@SystematicSw.ab.ca (Brian Inglis) (2003-10-18)
Re: GCC C/C++ runtime library question marcov@stack.nl (Marco van de Voort) (2003-10-18)
Re: GCC C/C++ runtime library question vbdis@aol.com (2003-10-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: ramanathan.ramadass@spirentcom.com (Ramanathan Ramadass)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Oct 2003 23:46:56 -0400
Posted-Date: 14 Oct 2003 23:46:56 EDT

Hi,

I am trying to replace the standard C and C++ libraries which comes
with a Linux distro with our own(licensed from a 3rd party vendor). We
will be providing the lower level layer which the C/C++ library
uses(i.e. the system calls). What i would like to do is replace the
standard and the runtime libraries which come with gcc with our own. I
am a newbie in this and hence have some basic questions;

1. What is the exact difference between the C runtime and the C
standard libraries i.e where does one end and the other begin;
specifically w.r.t gcc? While i am going through a lot of text(both
online and book form) i am not 100% clear on this.

2. In a gcc distribution where exactly does the compiler specific
magic lie within the runtime libraries? I might have to modify gcc to
use only my libraries but where and how do i begin? Currently i have
built the 3rd party vendor's library and am linking with it but for
some symbols i still have to go to the gcc runtimes. I am running "nm"
and extracting the object modules using "ar" for all the unresolved
symbols; which seems to be a roundabout way of doing things. What i
would like is to understand the structure of how gcc interfaces with
its runtimes. Would appreciate any and all help on this. Pointers to
other articles/links/books will also be very welcome.

Thanks
Ram

[Good luck. The OS interface library, the standard C library, and the
magic helper code libraries are rarely easy to separate out, and the
low level details are rarely documented. -John]