Linking...

Craig Magee <coevolved_netbeast@softhome.net>
23 Aug 2003 23:13:03 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Linking... coevolved_netbeast@softhome.net (Craig Magee) (2003-08-23)
Re: Linking... lsantil@calstatela.edu (Louis Paul Santillan) (2003-09-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Craig Magee <coevolved_netbeast@softhome.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Aug 2003 23:13:03 -0400
Posted-Date: 23 Aug 2003 23:13:03 EDT

I'm looking at writing an assembler for the SH4 in my sega dreamcast for
educational purposes. All SH4 opcodes are 16bits long, so it should be
easy to make a one pass assembler.

I'm not sure if I should write my own linker or output code in an
object format to use with someone else's linker. Can anyone point me
in the direction of some good linking theory, or some advise on what
linker would be good? It would help if there are some online
resources around, as the public library where I live has nothing and
all the good books at the uni library seem to be missing(what kind of
animal steals from a library?)...although I'd be keen to buy a book if
it's comprehensive and not to hard to find. I'm not looking to just
link code together.
[Well, there's always my book. Unless you have some rather peculiar
requirements, you can probably adjust gld to link your machine's
code far easier than writing a linker from scratch. -John]