RE: Advice on Writing a Parser Generator

"Don Yessick" <dyessick@cs.ua.edu>
20 Aug 2003 01:35:36 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Advice on Writing a Parser Generator scherzin@fmi.uni-passau.de (Stefanie Scherzinger) (2003-08-10)
Re: Advice on Writing a Parser Generator kers@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Chris Dollin) (2003-08-15)
RE: Advice on Writing a Parser Generator dyessick@cs.ua.edu (Don Yessick) (2003-08-20)
Re: Advice on Writing a Parser Generator lex@cc.gatech.edu (Lex Spoon) (2003-08-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Don Yessick" <dyessick@cs.ua.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 20 Aug 2003 01:35:36 -0400
Posted-Date: 20 Aug 2003 01:35:36 EDT

>> I plan to write a parser generator, very similar to YACC, for Java.
>
>You do know about JavaCC, right?
>
>(I haven't used it myself, but a colleague has, so I know it "works".
>On t'other hand, having been stung badly by trying to use flex and
>bison to generate lexers/parsers for a couple of languages, at the
>moment I'm in the "we don't need no adjectiving parser generators!"
>camp. "The wheel turns, does it not, Ambassador?")

JavaCC generates recursive descent compilers and doesn't really look
much like YACC either.

For LR parsing there is the Cup parser generator. JLex and Java Cup
are better choices for Lex and YACC look-alikes. The primary
difference being Cup uses named rather than positional attributes.

Other choices might include ANTLR and SableCC.

Don Yessick.