Re: Approach for Implementation

Ken Rose <kenrose@tfb.com>
5 Jun 2003 23:07:11 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Approach for Implementation mohit@arrakis.tamu.edu (Mohit Dewan) (2003-06-03)
Re: Approach for Implementation max1@mbank.com.ua (2003-06-05)
Re: Approach for Implementation kenrose@tfb.com (Ken Rose) (2003-06-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Ken Rose <kenrose@tfb.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 5 Jun 2003 23:07:11 -0400
Posted-Date: 05 Jun 2003 23:07:11 EDT

Mohit Dewan wrote:

> I am trying to write a scaled down version of a C compiler for a new
> chip set (which has its own set of assembly instructions).
>
> [I suggested that he adapt lcc. -John]

That or gcc, depending on several things:

- Do you care about C++, Fortran, Objective-C, Ada,...

- How important is code quality

- How do the licenses interact with what you want to do

A number of years ago, I ported GCC to the NUON MPE, which is rather
DSP-like in a number of respects, and was able to get mostly-runnable,
though still ugly, code in about six weeks. Improving it could turn
into a career, if you let it.

  - ken