Parsing in Visual Basic

"Guillermo Phillips" <guillermo.phillips@marsman.demon.co.uk>
15 May 2003 12:30:49 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Parsing in Visual Basic guillermo.phillips@marsman.demon.co.uk (Guillermo Phillips) (2003-05-15)
Re: Parsing in Visual Basic guillermo.phillips@marsman.demon.co.uk (Guillermo Phillips) (2003-05-24)
Re: Parsing in Visual Basic gphillips@marsman.demon.co.uk (Guillermo Phillips) (2003-05-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Guillermo Phillips" <guillermo.phillips@marsman.demon.co.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 May 2003 12:30:49 -0400
Posted-Date: 15 May 2003 12:30:49 EDT

Hello.

In Visual Basic, I have written a compiler which takes BNF 'like'
definitions, which can then parse ASCII text streams and produce a resultant
parse tree. The parse tree is object oriented so can be accessed
recursively. I originally wrote it for analysing flight plan routes for
aircraft.

I just wonder how much interest there would be in something like this?

Here's a very short example of what a definition might look like (without
the VB code of course):

number := REPEAT IN '0' TO '9';
binary_op := AND expression, '+', expression;
bracketed_expression := AND '(', expression, ')';
expression:= OR binary_op, bracketed_expression, number;

For example this could be used as to parse expressions such as the
following:

34+((6+7)+(3))

Thanks

Guillermo Phillips.