GREP: Has anyone understood the source?

Jim Brenner <b.soft@ycn.com>
6 May 2003 19:14:38 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
GREP: Has anyone understood the source? b.soft@ycn.com (Jim Brenner) (2003-05-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Jim Brenner <b.soft@ycn.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 6 May 2003 19:14:38 -0400
Posted-Date: 06 May 2003 19:14:38 EDT

Hello!

I've read the Red Dragon Book and want to write my own reg. expr.
matcher...Also wrote some little NDFAs, but was quite astonished when I
read the grep source (vers. 2.4.2). Tried to understand it, but it is
quite difficult, because there are some approaches which have never been
    coverd in my book (at least in ch. 1,2,3,4) and the comments in the
code are quite useless, at least for those parts which I don't already know.
So I searched the web for a grep source code documentation - in vain.
My Question: Does anybody know reg. expr. matchers, which are similar to
    grep, and whose algorithms are explained in more detail, or only a tut
on how to implement reg. expr. matchers effectively?

Thx, Benjamin!