Re: converting to Java

"Scott Nicol" <snicol@apk.net>
13 Feb 2003 00:43:45 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
converting to Java belgioioso@libero.it (Davide Rizzo) (2003-02-12)
Re: converting to Java snicol@apk.net (Scott Nicol) (2003-02-13)
Re: converting to Java sreeni@viswanadha.net (Sreenivas Viswanadha) (2003-02-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Scott Nicol" <snicol@apk.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Feb 2003 00:43:45 -0500
Posted-Date: 13 Feb 2003 00:43:45 EST

"Davide Rizzo" <belgioioso@libero.it> wrote in message
> How can I quicly convert (with little modifications) a Bison+Flex language
> into some Java parser generator? Which one I should use?

There are many non-lex/yacc scanner/parser generators available for Java,
but if you want a quick port, I'd stick with what you have.

I've used BYACC/J http://troi.lincom-asg.com/~rjamison/byacc/ with success.
It is Berkeley YACC that outputs Java code. I don't know of Bison port, but
it shouldn't matter much unless your code is married to one of the Bison
extensions.

For lex, there is jflex http://www.jflex.de/. I haven't tried it. It is
_not_ flex, but apparently it is reasonably close, and there is a section in
the documentation on porting from lex/flex to jflex.

--
Scott Nicol
snicol@apk.net