Java: Compile String -> byte[] -> Class

Fabian Wickborn <wickborn@mail.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De>
17 Jan 2003 23:02:15 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Java: Compile String -> byte[] -> Class wickborn@mail.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De (Fabian Wickborn) (2003-01-17)
Re: Java: Compile String -> byte[] -> Class joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2003-01-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Fabian Wickborn <wickborn@mail.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Jan 2003 23:02:15 -0500
Posted-Date: 17 Jan 2003 23:02:15 EST

Hi,

In my application I would like to have the possibility to write,
compile, link and execute functions at runtime.

This is now done by entering the functions which are then written to
disk (.java-files containing classes with "public static"-methods).
These files are compile at runtime with the Kopi Java Compiler and the
class is loaded so the methods can be accessed.

I would like to drop out the necessity for using the harddisk to
temporary save the .java and .class files.

I looked at Beanshell to write the functions in there but I didn't like
it.

Is there a possibility to modify KJC in a way that it can compile a
Class-Object (or at least a byte[]) out of a String directly? How much
effort would that be?

I'm asking for any suggestions or opinions to approach.

Thanks in advance,
Fabian
--
Fabian Wickborn --- wickborn@cs.uni-magdeburg.de