Re: C interpreter source code

faust <urfaust@optushome.com.au>
31 Dec 2002 23:45:29 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
C interpreter source code ms@it-1a.de (Marco Singer) (2002-12-11)
Re: C interpreter source code j.wurth@gmx.de (juergen wurth) (2002-12-13)
Re: C interpreter source code josejuanmr@lycos.es (2002-12-19)
Re: C interpreter source code one2001boy@yahoo.com (one2001boy@yahoo.com) (2002-12-31)
Re: C interpreter source code urfaust@optushome.com.au (faust) (2002-12-31)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: faust <urfaust@optushome.com.au>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 31 Dec 2002 23:45:29 -0500
Posted-Date: 31 Dec 2002 23:45:29 EST

>Marco Singer wrote:
>
>> I want to embed a C (maybe a "slim" version) interpreter into my
>> software. It should by easily extensible to add some software (MS
>> VC++ MFC) specific routines.

If C is not essential, then have a look at Guile , (GNU's Ubiquitous
Intelligent Language for Extension)

"Guile is a library designed to help programmers create flexible
applications. Using guile in an application allows programmers to
write plug-ins, or modules (there are many names, but the concept is
essentially the same) and users to use them to have an application fit
their needs.

There is a long list of proven applications that employ extension
languages. Successful and long-lived examples in the free software
world are GNU Emacs and The GIMP.

Very popular examples of extending server applications are the apache
projects perl and php modules.

Extension languages allow users, programmers, and third-party
developers to add features to a program without having to re-write the
program as a whole, and it allows people extending a program to co-
operate with each other, without having to expend any extra effort.

Guile is a programming language. Guile is an interpreter packaged as
a library which can be incorperated into your programs. Your users
have full access to the interpreter, so guile itself can be extended,
based on the needs of the user. The result is a scripting language
tailored to your application."

http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/guile.html
[If you don't need C, there's a bunch of other extension languages that
are widely used such as python, TCL, REXX, and Lua. -John]