Re: vectorization in icc

nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren)
13 Dec 2002 00:09:37 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: vectorization in icc kfredrik@saippua.cs.Helsinki.FI (Kimmo Fredriksson) (2002-12-07)
vectorization in icc aart.bik@intel.com (Bik, Aart) (2002-12-07)
Re: vectorization in icc terryg@qwest.net (Terry Greyzck) (2002-12-11)
Re: vectorization in icc kf@iki.fi (2002-12-11)
Re: vectorization in icc nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (2002-12-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Dec 2002 00:09:37 -0500
Posted-Date: 13 Dec 2002 00:09:37 EST
Originator: nmm1@draco.cus.cam.ac.uk

"Terry Greyzck" <terryg@qwest.net> writes:

|> For good vectorizable code:
|>
|> - Use loops with a trip count that can be determined at compile or run time;
|> no while loops or linked lists.
|> - For C, use the 'restrict' qualifier where possible.
|> - If necessary, use the 'ivdep' pragma.
|> - Otherwise, write the loop like you would normally. Vectorizing compilers
|> have 25+ years of experience behind them and can handle most any
|> construct you can write.

You have missed out the very basic requirements!

  - Keep it simple
  - Keep it clean
  - Don't add warts

The last is really the one of ensuring that the loop can be written in
standard mathematical vector notation, with no nasty exits,
conditionals or unvectorisable operations (e.g. I/O). Whether ANY
conditional operations can be handled depends on the system.

But, of course, I am not denying any of your points :-) It is just
that most inexperienced users make a mistake with the simple
requirements and so your (slightly more advanced) ones are irrelevant.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email: nmm1@cam.ac.uk
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679