Re: backend question

thp@cs.ucr.edu
7 Dec 2002 20:00:58 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: backend question nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren) (2002-11-24)
Re: backend question joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2002-11-24)
Re: backend question nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren) (2002-11-26)
Re: backend question fjh@students.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Fergus Henderson) (2002-12-01)
Re: backend question nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren) (2002-12-03)
Re: backend question thp@cs.ucr.edu (2002-12-07)
Backend Question mansuk@gmail.com (Suman Karumuri) (2005-10-07)
Re: Backend Question gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2005-10-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: thp@cs.ucr.edu
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 7 Dec 2002 20:00:58 -0500
Posted-Date: 07 Dec 2002 20:00:58 EST

Nick Maclaren <nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
+ "Fergus Henderson" <fjh@students.cs.mu.OZ.AU> writes:
[...]
+ |> Certainly. But we were talking about using C as a target language.
+ |> For that case, the high-level language compiler has complete control
+ |> over what C code is generated.
+
+ Then I am puzzled by the original remarks. Any general purpose
+ language can be used in that way - Fortran II and 66 were, heavily.
+ As with mathematical Turing machines, any general purpose language can
+ be compiled into any other, with some niggles about details.
+
+ The only question is how many of the features have to be emulated,
+ which affects the overheads.

The commonly used three-address load/store subset of C is very close
to quadruple-based intermediate code, which AFAIK translates as
efficiently as other intermediate notations to most real
architectures.

Tom Payne
[For expressions, sure. But I think the issues have more to do with
control structures, particularly interesting ones like tail calls and
non-local gotos. -John]