Re: grammar and compiler testing

"Roman Shaposhnick" <vugluskr@unicorn.math.spbu.ru>
7 Dec 2002 19:57:40 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
grammar and compiler testing asimeerza@yahoo.com (asimeerza) (2002-12-03)
Re: grammar and compiler testing vugluskr@unicorn.math.spbu.ru (Roman Shaposhnick) (2002-12-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Roman Shaposhnick" <vugluskr@unicorn.math.spbu.ru>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 7 Dec 2002 19:57:40 -0500
Posted-Date: 07 Dec 2002 19:57:40 EST

On 3 Dec 2002 00:45:45 -0500, asimeerza wrote:
>Can You Please Suggest
>How To Test The Correctness And Completeness Of Grammar?
>How To Test Compiler Components (Lexical Analyzer, Parser, Code
>Generator)?

  I once saw a patch for GNU M4 macro processor that made it possible to
  have multiple definitions of the same macro. Substitutions were
  made either by picking random definition or by specifying which one
  should be taken. All in all it made M4 applicable to the task of
  genrating endless stream of syntactically correct input for
  lexers/parsers. Not a big deal, but quite useful at times, especially
  with the rest of M4 functionality being there for you.

  I guess you can still find it via google or by asking on M4 mailing list.

Thanks,
Roman.