Elegant compiler generator available again

"Lex Augusteijn" <lex.augusteijn@philips.com>
24 Nov 2002 01:28:34 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Elegant compiler generator available again lex.augusteijn@philips.com (Lex Augusteijn) (2002-11-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Lex Augusteijn" <lex.augusteijn@philips.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 Nov 2002 01:28:34 -0500
Posted-Date: 24 Nov 2002 01:28:34 EST

The Elegant compiler generator is available again for downloads after
a reconstruction of our research web site. I have put a new release
(7.2) online.

Lex Augusteijn

----------------

                            Dear Elegant user or any other reader,

We are proud to announce the new Elegant release 7.2. It is an open
source release, which is subject to the Gnu Public License. This
means that not only the binary distribution is available for free, but
also all Elegant program and documentation sources.

The reason for this generous gift is that we stopped Elegant
development some time ago. Not only should users then have the sources
of the tools, so they can perform their own fixes and upgrade, but
also the rest of the world might profit from our investment and
perhaps someone picks it up and continues development and support

The release can be downloaded from:

http://www.extra.research.philips.com/elegant

***********************************

Release 7.2 is upward compatible with release 7.1.

Platforms
---------

    * Full releases are now available for
        HP-UX HP-UX B.11.11
        SunOS SunOS 5.8
        IRIX64 IRIX 6.5
        Linux Linux 2.4.18
        MINGW32 Mingw32 under Microsoft Windows

    * Generated C sources are available for porting to other platforms.

NEW IN RELEASE 7.2
==================

Front
-----

Front is a front-end generator for Elegant. It replaces Bnf that was
part of the releases upto 7.0. It generates a compiler front-end in
Elegant from a language specification according to the scheme
described in the Elegant tutorial. Its input is set of type
definitions (specifying the abstract syntax graph), augmented with the
syntactical representation of these types. This syntactical
representations resembles an EBNF specification for a context free
language.

Because Front specifications are so concise and simple, generating
language implementations becomes very easy and fast. The thus
introduced short turn-around cycle supports the process of language
design very well, since it becomes easy to experiment with language
modifications. After generating a front-end with Front, one only has
to implement the context-checks and code generation.

W.r.t. Front C7.1, the C7.2 front version has been extended
considerably. Especially the C-generating version, to be used in
conjunction with Bison and Flex, is very extensive. Therefore, it is
distributed as a separate release Front 1.0, that you can download
from

http://www.extra.research.philips.com/front

--
Name: dr.ir. Lex Augusteijn