Re: Building a translator. Want to know if this is feasible...

"Enrico Santoemma" <enrico.santoemma@mail.com>
15 Nov 2002 00:39:29 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: Building a translator. Want to know if this is feasible... gsc@zip.com.au (Sean Case) (2002-11-08)
Re: Building a translator. Want to know if this is feasible... stanley.chow@cloakware.com (Stanley Chow) (2002-11-08)
Re: Building a translator. Want to know if this is feasible... vbdis@aol.com (VBDis) (2002-11-08)
Re: Building a translator. Want to know if this is feasible... gopi@sankhya.com (Gopi Bulusu) (2002-11-08)
Re: Building a translator. Want to know if this is feasible... JeffKenton@attbi.com (Jeff Kenton) (2002-11-08)
Re: Building a translator. Want to know if this is feasible... lex@cc.gatech.edu (Lex Spoon) (2002-11-12)
Re: Building a translator. Want to know if this is feasible... enrico.santoemma@mail.com (Enrico Santoemma) (2002-11-15)
Re: Building a translator. Want to know if this is feasible... idbaxter@semdesigns.com (Ira Baxter) (2002-11-17)
Re: Building a translator. Want to know if this is feasible... kgw-news@stiscan.com (2002-11-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Enrico Santoemma" <enrico.santoemma@mail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Nov 2002 00:39:29 -0500
Posted-Date: 15 Nov 2002 00:39:29 EST

Reading this post I thought this example:
We have an old working device which does some logic transformations
between input and output. We also have the schematic diagram. The
device is made by old tubes and metallic wire resistors. How to
automatically produce a schematic which uses modern ICs?

I think the only answer is "emulate".
A more serious answer remind me an old Esprit project in the european
community: build software that helps the huge CEE's translation job.
The better results were translation CADs, that is software that helps
translators to recognize and automatize only the repetitive tasks.
For the rest, human mind was (and still is) irreplaceable.

The schematic example helps me to support my opinion: we should change
the monodimensional view of a text source code for some bidimensional
views, which is 1 to 1 representation of the code.

Enrico