Compiler positions available for week ending September 29

"comp.compilers" <compilers@iecc.com>
29 Sep 2002 17:01:22 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler positions available for week ending September 29 compilers@iecc.com (comp.compilers) (2002-09-29)
Compiler positions available for week ending September 29 compilers-jobs@iecc.com (1996-09-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "comp.compilers" <compilers@iecc.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,misc.jobs.offered
Date: 29 Sep 2002 17:01:22 -0400
Posted-Date: 29 Sep 2002 17:01:22 EDT

This is a digest of ``help wanted'' and ``position available'' messages
received at comp.compilers during the preceding week. Messages must
advertise a position having something to do with compilers and must also
conform to the guidelines periodically posted in misc.jobs.offered.
Positions that remain open may be re-advertised once a month. To respond
to a job offer, send mail to the author of the message. To submit a
message, mail it to compilers@iecc.com.

-------------------------------

Subject: Need a compiler / language sw programmer at DANGER, INC. (Palo Alto)
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 12:22:56 -0700

To be blunt, I'm hoping to recruit you to explore Danger, Inc.
www.danger.com We're a privately held, VC funded company, located in
beautiful downtown Palo Alto and will launch our wireless Internet
technology next week. We're less than 100 people, well-funded and
have a very fun culture.

We've created a new position in our Apps/Browser team which requires
strong compiler / language design experience, ideally with JavaScript,
but... The task is to help build a world class browser for what we
feel is a killer new wireless gadget/platform. We are willing to
relocate people from out of state, we're open to H-1 sponsorship, etc.
The position pays depending on experience, but the high-end is
somewhere in the high $120Ks + options.

The project:

Implement JavaScript language on the Danger platform. Work with other
browser team engineers to integrate the JavaScript language with core
browser for DOM and other browser scripting features.

The religion:

This is the chance to start a new wave beyond the desktop. Netscape
invented the web, but so far it's mostly limited to desktop. Carrying
the web in your pocket will be fun and can reach out to a whole new
group of people.

The technical challenge:

The device has limited memory and resources (but enough) and that
makes the engineering challenging. It's not formular coding, we have
to think hard about technical choices. We have a server back end which
is a powerful resource, and so the architecture of the little device
and big server makes for some interesting strategies for solving
problems.

The people:

Good people, dedicated web browser engineers from Netscape, AvantGo,
WebTV. We want to create the best web experience possible on a mobile
device.

Beyond the project:

Beyond JavaScript is the rest of the browser, beyond that is a brand
new platform, and a new concept with lots of possibilities. Still a
small team at Danger, so still lots of chance to grab interesting new
projects.

-------------------------------

Date: 27 Sep 2002 14:33:33 +0200
From: "Martin Odersky" <martin.odersky@epfl.ch>
Subject: Faculty position in experimental software systems (Switzerland)

The Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne (EPFL) invites
applications for faculty positions in computer science at the
tenure-track assistant professor, tenured associate and full professor
level. One of the areas of interest is

        Experimental Software Systems

This area includes innovative concepts and applications of compiler
technology.

EPFL has recently embarked on an ambitious program of development,
including the institution of a tenure-track system and the formation
of the School of Computer and Communication sciences. The School is
slated for substantial growth in the coming years. Teaching language
in the graduate school is English.

EPFL offers internationally competitive salaries and benefits.
For more information, see

        http://admwww.epfl.ch/pres/comp_sci.html

--
Prof. Martin Odersky Tel: +41 21 693 6863
School of Computer and Communication Sciences Fax: +41 21 693 6660