Protyping a new language ?

"watsacham" <groin@grouik.com>
19 Sep 2002 01:18:57 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Protyping a new language ? groin@grouik.com (watsacham) (2002-09-19)
Re: Protyping a new language ? frido@q-software-solutions.com (Friedrich Dominicus) (2002-09-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "watsacham" <groin@grouik.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 Sep 2002 01:18:57 -0400
Posted-Date: 19 Sep 2002 01:18:56 EDT

Hello, I'm currently trying to work on a new scripting language for a part
time game project.

Before starting to do anything with Cocor or alike tools I need to do some
research to test the several ideas I had.

I mean, I simply can't

- Work on paper for one year (my theorical computer languages knowledge is
not high enough to allow me to be sure about my work)
- Start to define a grammar, a compiler and a virtual machine interpreter
without beeing sure of the possible results

For example, this scripting language will tend to be goal oriented. I know
the context (our scenario, our levels, what the NPC are and so on) and I
need to find solution to make gring them alive.

So, what could be the best tool to try so ideas ? I'm talking about ideas
not grammar, parsing or such...

Thanks
[I made the usual comment, which is that there are already lots of
scripting languages, some of which are pretty good, so you probably
don't need to invent a new one. -John]