RE: benchmarks

"Quinn Tyler Jackson" <qjackson@shaw.ca>
8 Sep 2002 22:07:10 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
benchmarks lkotoil@netscape.net (sc2002) (2002-09-03)
RE: benchmarks qjackson@shaw.ca (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (2002-09-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Quinn Tyler Jackson" <qjackson@shaw.ca>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 Sep 2002 22:07:10 -0400
Posted-Date: 08 Sep 2002 22:07:10 EDT

> Are there any benchmarks for the speed of compilation, or
> interpretation or parsing. What I'm looking for is to be able to
> compare the speed of my parser with something similar. Something like
> it took such and such parser x number of seconds to read through a txt
> file containing l declarations, n functions, m function calls and
> .. so forth.

<opinion: ON>
One trouble with such comparisons is that two different parsing tools
will typically have two different grammar formats, such that it's
nearly impossible to take a grammar specification for language L "out
of the box" and compare it to another engine. If you are going to
compare the speed of parser A and B in accepting some language L, and
they are competing tools, it is only fair to give the parser B
implementer the opportunity to write the grammar, so the comparison is
fair. This, of course, is not a problem if the grammar specification
drops right into A and B without modification, and is supplied with
tool B as an example grammar.

If you don't allow those intimately familiar with engine B to supply
the grammar, then there is always the possibility that what one is
witnessing is not a true comparison.
<opinion: OFF>
--
Quinn Tyler Jackson