Announce: JBurg, a Java-based BURG

"Tom Harwood" <zucco@world.std.com>
4 Jul 2002 23:19:50 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Announce: JBurg, a Java-based BURG zucco@world.std.com (Tom Harwood) (2002-07-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Tom Harwood" <zucco@world.std.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 4 Jul 2002 23:19:50 -0400
Posted-Date: 04 Jul 2002 23:19:50 EDT

I'm pleased to announce that Macromedia, Inc. has released my R&D project,
JBurg, as Open Source under the Common Public License.

JBurg source (CVS and tarball) and docs are now available from SourceForge
(http://jburg.sourceforge.net).

JBurg is descended from iburg/lburg class BURGs -- the pattern-matching and
dynamic programming engines were initially programmed after reading
Fraser, Hanson, and Proebsting's "Engineering a Simple, Efficient Code
Generator Generator" paper.

JBurg offers a tool-like programming environment: JBurg specification files
contain reduction actions and a result stack that makes the code generator
specification more "grammar-like."

JBurg also supports complex transformational rules, which are more like
grammar rules that manipulate nonterminals than iburg's transitive closures.

The distribution contains JBurg's regression test, a very simple compiler
that compiles a toy language (TL/1) to bytecode; TL/1 is a parser, an AST,
and a code generator.

I wrote JBurg to fill a hole in the Java compiler tools chain: there are
good parse generators, and good instruction-level code emitters, but there
was a lack of tools to drive the emitter in the manner that lburg generates
assembly code for lcc.
--
Tom Harwood zucco@world.std.com http://world.std.com/~zucco