Extracting symbol values from COFF files

Troy Kemp <jeeves_x@hotmai.com>
17 May 2002 00:22:36 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Extracting symbol values from COFF files jeeves_x@hotmai.com (Troy Kemp) (2002-05-17)
Re: Extracting symbol values from COFF files vbdis@aol.com (2002-05-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Troy Kemp <jeeves_x@hotmai.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 May 2002 00:22:36 -0400
Posted-Date: 17 May 2002 00:22:36 EDT

I have following problem.

I need to extract symbol values from COFF-file (coff-m68k). Now I know
how to extract symbols and symbol addresses from that file using
BinUtils but I haven't yet figured out how to get those values from
the file

for example
if in the code is following:

int iNumber=20;

>From the coff file i need to extract that iNumber and its value 20. I
can extract symbol name "iNumber" and its address, but not the default
value of it.

Can binutils do that (or another program?) or should I read the COFF
standard and make a own program which reads the address of the symbol
and by using that address to read the value (if any).

Thanks.