Re: Parser Generators for Multiple Protocols in an Embedded Device

"Kamal R. Prasad" <k.prasad@attbi.com>
4 May 2002 21:14:23 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Parser Generators for Multiple Protocols in an Embedded Device nou.dadoun@polycom.com (2002-04-23)
Re: Parser Generators for Multiple Protocols in an Embedded Device dr_feriozi@prodigy.net (SLK Parsers) (2002-04-24)
Re: Parser Generators for Multiple Protocols in an Embedded Device k.prasad@attbi.com (Kamal R. Prasad) (2002-04-29)
Re: Parser Generators for Multiple Protocols in an Embedded Device haberg@matematik.su.se (2002-05-01)
Re: Parser Generators for Multiple Protocols in an Embedded Device joachim.durchholz@munich.netsurf.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2002-05-03)
Re: Parser Generators for Multiple Protocols in an Embedded Device haberg@matematik.su.se (2002-05-04)
Re: Parser Generators for Multiple Protocols in an Embedded Device k.prasad@attbi.com (Kamal R. Prasad) (2002-05-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Kamal R. Prasad" <k.prasad@attbi.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.misc
Date: 4 May 2002 21:14:23 -0400
Posted-Date: 04 May 2002 21:14:23 EDT

That is correct. an embedded device is by definition a device with
scarce resources. most embedded (micro-)kernels reduce the footprint
by removing standard features from the OS. as regards smaller object
code from C++ -good for you if it works. OS developers code critical
stuff in assembly instead of C to improve performance. eg:-
__syscall() which does context switch in Unix is usally implemented in
assembly. The folks at Javasoft gave up on using Java to create a
JavaOS (and Java has a smaller object code because it does not have
standard C featires unlike C++). so, IMHO it is quite daunting to
write the embedded OS (or parts of it) in C++.

regards -kamal