Re: MMX/3Dnow!/SSE/SSE2 compilers

Andrew Richards <a.richards@codeplay.com>
23 Apr 2002 23:44:00 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
MMX/3Dnow!/SSE/SSE2 compilers curtisdisa@mindspring.com (Curtis and Disa) (2002-04-21)
Re: MMX/3Dnow!/SSE/SSE2 compilers a.richards@codeplay.com (Andrew Richards) (2002-04-23)
Re: MMX/3Dnow!/SSE/SSE2 compilers a.richards@codeplay.com (Andrew Richards) (2002-04-24)
Re: MMX/3Dnow!/SSE/SSE2 compilers snowwolf@diku.dk (Allan Sandfeld Jensen) (2002-04-24)
Re: MMX/3Dnow!/SSE/SSE2 compilers dave@icmfp.com (2002-04-29)
Re: MMX/3Dnow!/SSE/SSE2 compilers jgd@cix.co.uk (2002-04-29)
Re: MMX/3Dnow!/SSE/SSE2 compilers jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr (jacob navia) (2002-05-01)
Re: MMX/3Dnow!/SSE/SSE2 compilers a.richards@codeplay.com (Andrew Richards) (2002-05-01)

From: Andrew Richards <a.richards@codeplay.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Apr 2002 23:44:00 -0400
Posted-Date: 23 Apr 2002 23:44:00 EDT

Hi,

Curtis and Disa wrote:
> What compilers support any of the MMX/3Dnow!/SSE/SSE2 instruction sets
> (and optimize code for them)? Do you know of any published
> comparisons of such compilers?

Ours do! :-) We have some comparisons, but they are mainly based on
image and sound processing. We sell to game developers, mostly.

Don't expect these instruction sets to give a significant speed
improvement on standard benchmarks - all the instructions are quite
specifically designed for media processing, where speed improvements
go up to a factor of 4 (and we have found some people have got very
large performance improvements on some software, around 20% is more
common).

Intel also do a compiler which does well on scientific code.

Quite a few other compilers support intrinsics for MMX/3DNow etc., but
that requires writing non-portable code for specific processors.

--
Andrew Richards
Codeplay

Tel: +44 (0)20 7482 3382
140-142 Kentish Town Rd, London, NW1 9QB
http://www.codeplay.com
[I was under the impression that people usually use these vectorish
instructions via libraries more than via in-line code. -John]