Re: Is there a good Pascal to C++ Translator?

journeyman@compilerguru.com (journeyman)
6 Apr 2002 23:50:01 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Is there a good Pascal to C++ Translator? s.c.siegel@web.de (2002-03-31)
Re: Is there a good Pascal to C++ Translator? bear@sonic.net (Ray Dillinger) (2002-04-06)
Re: Is there a good Pascal to C++ Translator? journeyman@compilerguru.com (2002-04-06)
Re: Is there a good Pascal to C++ Translator? s.c.siegel@web.de (2002-04-10)
Re: Is there a good Pascal to C++ Translator? rhyde@cs.ucr.edu (Randall Hyde) (2002-04-10)
Re: Is there a good Pascal to C++ Translator? journeyman@compilerguru.com (2002-04-13)
Re: Is there a good Pascal to C++ Translator? marcov@toad.stack.nl (Marco van de Voort) (2002-04-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: journeyman@compilerguru.com (journeyman)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 6 Apr 2002 23:50:01 -0500
Posted-Date: 06 Apr 2002 23:50:01 EST

On 31 Mar 2002 23:27:27 -0500, Jascha <s.c.siegel@web.de> wrote:

>I need a Pascal to C++ translator. I still use p2c 1.22-8, but I have
>problems, if i have two declarations of one function, but with
>different parameter types.

How big's your program? I'm rather a fan of semi-manual translations
in cases like this if it's manageable. Why don't you use your
favorite editor on the Pascal source and maually rename the function
depending on the parameter.

With emacs, I'd run a grep (recursive to subdirectories if the app is
big enough), then bind a couple of macros to functions keys. One for
"change and next"; the other for "no change and next". You can
probably check each case in a few seconds with minimal keystrokes,
especially if the number of parameters differ.

HTH,

Morris
[I agree. Automatic translators tend to cause code bloat when there are
similar looking features of the two languages with subtly different
semantics. Usually it's better to flag them and let the programmer
fix it if needed. -John]