Re: Is interprocedural optimization worth it?

"Mark Lacey \[MSFT\]" <mlacey@microsoft.com>
6 Apr 2002 23:15:00 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Is interprocedural optimization worth it? dsha@tercom.ru (Dmitry Shaporenkov) (2002-03-31)
Re: Is interprocedural optimization worth it? mlacey@microsoft.com (Mark Lacey \[MSFT\]) (2002-04-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Mark Lacey \[MSFT\]" <mlacey@microsoft.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 6 Apr 2002 23:15:00 -0500
Posted-Date: 06 Apr 2002 23:15:00 EST

Dmitry,

It's a difficult question to answer without knowing what architecture
you're generating code for, and what interproc optimizations you're
considering. Not having access to the entire code generator can
definitely be a significant drawback.

The latest revision of the Microsoft Visual C++ compiler does
whole-program optimization at link-time. See:
http://www.codeproject.com/tips/gloption.asp for more information.

My experience from having worked on this definitely showed that
inlining across the entire program can often be a big win, but it can
be relatively hard to tune this inlining without profile information
being available. It can also be a big loss if not tuned properly (in
particular inlining very agressively, on all but the smallest
programs, tends to blow the I-cache out so badly that it's an overall
loss).

Improved memory disambiguation can have a large effect on
architectures where you have a lot of registers (like IA-64) but less
of an effect on architectures where you have very few registers (like
IA-32).

You may want to consider referencing one of the recent compiler texts
and the papers referenced in those texts before embarking on a
detailed design or implementation. Muchnick's book (Advanced Compiler
Design and Implementation) has a chapter on interprocedural
optimizations and if it's like the rest of the book (sorry, don't have
it handy) it should have a lot of references.

--
Mark Lacey
mlacey at microsoft dot com