Writing a symbol table in Perl

destraynor@yahoo.ie (Des Traynor)
17 Mar 2002 22:42:15 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Writing a symbol table in Perl destraynor@yahoo.ie (2002-03-17)
Re: Writing a symbol table in Perl joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2002-03-19)
Re: Writing a symbol table in Perl destraynor@yahoo.ie (2002-03-21)
Re: Writing a symbol table in Perl ed_walker@sympatico.ca (Edward Walker) (2002-03-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: destraynor@yahoo.ie (Des Traynor)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Mar 2002 22:42:15 -0500
Posted-Date: 17 Mar 2002 22:42:15 EST

I need to write a program that will perform semantics checking on a
java program, (i.e type checking,scope checking , method
invocation,uniqueness checking etc ). I can assume the input to the
program will be a lexically and syntactically correct program.
      I am considering writing it in Perl, I believe that perl could
analyse the text of the program fairly quickly, implement a
(reasonably) efficient symbol table, and through pattern matching
perform all the necessary checks.
Does anyone see any immediate problems with this , Has anyone done it
before, or does anyone have any opinions on it.
      All input will be gratefully accepted
                          Des Traynor
[Doing symbol tables in perl is really easy. A straightforward way is to
make the symbol table a perl table indexed by symbol name, and the values
pointers to either tables or arrays with the symbol's info. -John]