parsing non-XML to DOM -- "XML without all the angle brackets"

robert_dodier@yahoo.com (Robert Dodier)
9 Mar 2002 02:51:26 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
parsing non-XML to DOM -- "XML without all the angle brackets" robert_dodier@yahoo.com (2002-03-09)
Re: parsing non-XML to DOM -- "XML without all the angle brackets" syring@email.com (Karl M. Syring) (2002-03-11)
Re: parsing non-XML to DOM -- "XML without all the angle brackets" joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2002-03-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: robert_dodier@yahoo.com (Robert Dodier)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 9 Mar 2002 02:51:26 -0500
Posted-Date: 09 Mar 2002 02:51:26 EST

Hello,

I have an idea that goes like this. XML has lots of advantages,
but human comprehensibility isn't one of them. It seems to me
that XML would be a lot more comprehensible if we just drop
the angle brackets and redundant stuff -- to have

    toptag nextlevel { stillmore bottom1 "hello" yetagain "world" }

as opposed to

I would like to still use a DTD to state the grammar, and I'd
like to parse stuff into a DOM -- that's handy for programs
to work with, so let's keep it.

What is a good way to approach this problem?

For what it's worth, I've trotted this out over on comp.text.xml
and didn't get any helpful responses.

I've worked with XML a fair bit over the last couple of years,
and I took a compiler class in 1984, so that's my background on this.

Thanks for your comments --

Robert Dodier