Re: SSA Bibliography

anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
9 Mar 2002 02:34:03 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
SSA Bibliography qg@nuclear.biodome.org (QuantumG) (2002-02-28)
Re: SSA Bibliography anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2002-03-09)
Re: SSA Bibliography Gilles.Pokam@irisa.fr (Gilles Pokam) (2002-03-09)
Re: SSA Bibliography Francois.Thomasset@inria.fr (Francois Thomasset) (2002-03-09)
Re: SSA Bibliography sjmeyer@www.tdl.com (2002-03-09)
Re: SSA Bibliography chase@world.std.com (David Chase) (2002-03-09)
Re: SSA Bibliography gdm@gedamo.demon.co.uk (George Morrison) (2002-03-11)
SSA bibliography Jeremy.Singer@glasgow.ac.uk (Jeremy Singer) (2012-07-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 9 Mar 2002 02:34:03 -0500
Posted-Date: 09 Mar 2002 02:34:03 EST

  QuantumG <qg@nuclear.biodome.org> writes:
>In particular I'm
>interested in what optimisation techniques can be done in SSA form as
>I am trying to minimize translation passes to/from SSA form.
>Preferably one would like to do everything in SSA form and, although
>at this point I have no idea how to do incremental updates of an SSA
>intermediate form, I'm at a loss as to whether this is possible or
>not.

I found Robert Kennedy's presentation of [kennedy+98] insightful in
this regard; my impression was that adapting some optimizations to SSA
and SSA to some optimizations takes a significant effort, maybe more
than it is worth.

@InProceedings{kennedy+98,
    author = "Robert Kennedy and Fred Chow and Peter Dahl and
Shin-Ming Liu and Raymond Lo and Mark Streich",
    title = "Strength Reduction via SSAPRE",
    crossref = "cc98",
    pages = "144--158",
    annote = "Discusses how to do strength reduction in the SSAPRE
framework (partial redundancy elimination based on
SSA form). The advantages of this approach are that
it is more powerful than bit-vector based techniques
(it can handle situations in one pass that would
require a repetition of PRE and strength reduction
in the bit-vector approach). OTOH, it also has some
disadvantages through the absence of global
information: in particular, linear function test
replacement does not know all the replacement
candidates, so it may choose a suboptimal
replacement."
}
@Proceedings{cc98,
    title = "Compiler Construction (CC'98)",
    booktitle = "Compiler Construction (CC'98)",
    year = "1998",
    key = "CC'98",
    editor = "Kai Koskimies",
    OPTvolume = "1383",