Re: grammar translation?

rkrayhawk@aol.com (RKRayhawk)
16 Feb 2002 01:20:42 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
grammar traslation? basireddym@rediffmail.com (2002-02-06)
Re: grammar translation? rkrayhawk@aol.com (2002-02-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: rkrayhawk@aol.com (RKRayhawk)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Feb 2002 01:20:42 -0500
Posted-Date: 16 Feb 2002 01:20:42 EST

Manohar, basireddym@rediffmail.com
Date: 6 Feb 2002 23:33:41 -0500 posted a question about translating XML grammar
files into bison grammar files (see full quote of original post below).

If you are as ambitious as it seems, then you may wish to visit

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml

Quoting the webpage directly
"This document specifies a syntax created by subsetting an existing,
widely used international text processing standard (Standard Generalized
Markup Language, ISO 8879:1986(E) as amended and corrected) for use on
the World Wide Web. It is a product of the W3C XML Activity, details of
which can be found at http://www.w3.org/XML. The English version of this
specification is the only normative version. However, for translations
of this document, see http://www.w3.org/XML/#trans. A list of current
W3C Recommendations and other technical documents can be found at
http://www.w3.org/TR. "

On the noted page, http://www.w3.org/TR
you will find lnks to everything you dreamed of, including info on inputing
character sets beyond 8-bit codes -
"Unicode in XML and other Markup Languages"
at http://www.w3.org/TR/unicode-xml/

The basic page I would guide you to is
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml
  it can be thought of as a tutorial giving a step-by-step explanation of each
rule that could occur in an XML grammar. It would not be difficult to translate
the format of the illustrated EBNF into bison.

The top of that page has links to Editors who could give you advice about the
copyright aspects of using this site's text as a basis of your work. But more
importantly there is probalby somewhere in this maze (http://www.w3.org/TR) an
isolated grammar per se, with all of the tutorial out of the way. You can
search around there or contact the webmeister.

As you look further into this you will learn that there is much more than XML
itself. I do not know if you need to get that broad for your work. Your task
could be large.

Original post from Manohar, basireddym@rediffmail.com
<<
          I Am Planning to write DTMF recognizer.here the source files will be
either in XML or in ABNF specification.i am going to use bison&flex
for this one.but i have no idea how to treanslate XML grammar files
into bison grammar.
Is There Any Means to translate one language into another language?
I Want To Convert XML grammar file to bison grammar.
pls help out me in this regard

Best Wishes
Bob Rayhawk