Newbie's question: Translation through micro-operation

"Reinir Puradinata" <rei@telkom.net>
6 Feb 2002 23:37:17 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Newbie's question: Translation through micro-operation rei@telkom.net (Reinir Puradinata) (2002-02-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Reinir Puradinata" <rei@telkom.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 6 Feb 2002 23:37:17 -0500
Posted-Date: 06 Feb 2002 23:37:17 EST

Hello everybody,

I'm developing a compiler that translates the source code to
micro-operations first, before to machine codes.

A part of the idea is to allow easy translation for other CPUs, or new
CPUs with additional instructions, simply by switching translation
data (which is the collection of currently available micro-ops and
instructions) and recompile.

Has anyone done that before? Can anyone give me information on
similar or better method?

I hope my choice of words is not too confusing. I'd appreciate any
help or advice. Thanks in advance.
[Take a look at GCC. Its RTL internal form is quite low-level. -John]